A real therapist answers commonly googled questions about therapy.
0:13 – What is therapy like?
1:06 – Why is therapy so expensive?
5:04 – Do therapists make a lot of money?
6:11 – Do therapists go to therapy?
7:34 – Do therapists need a PhD?
8:49 – Why are therapists called shrinks?
9:31 – How do I know if my therapist is good?
9:31 – How do I know if my therapist Is helping me?
9:31 – How do I know if my therapist is right for me?
9:31 – How do I know if my therapist cares about me?
12:26 – What if my therapist doesn’t believe me?
13:39 – What if I tell my therapist I’m suicidal?
16:15 – What if my therapist sees my cuts?
16:59 – What if I see my therapist in public?
18:06 – Why does my therapist yawn?
18:47 – Why is my therapist always late?
19:39 – Why can’t I open up to my therapist?
20:57 – How do therapists diagnose?
21:45 – How do therapists engage difficult clients?
23:09 – Help my therapists is mad at me
24:02 – Help my therapist is an intern
25:39 – Help my therapist In love with me
27:16 – Can I be friends with my therapist?
Want to talk to Dr. Ali Mattu? Join the call in show by filling out this form:
Special thanks to Elizabeth S., Tyler D., Anna H., Arnt J., Collin P., Evan A., Imran M., Sam D., Ryan L., Sophie Y., Ahmed Y, Israel P., Neuro Transmissions, Eric E., Eve P., Lauren K., BrainCraft, Aaron F., Samuel H., Marisa H.,Tae T., Steve M.,, Bryan T., Nicky C., Samuel A., Anton T., Jennifer C., Shanda W., Saleem H. P., Sri S., Alex N., Denise J., Emily W., Samar, Lars B., Pipitchy, Emily, Troy C., Alexandre V., Jose, Julie, H., Rebecca E., Mariana D. M., Karl S., Cesalie S., Greg M., Christy, BobC, and Sam for making this episode possible! Learn how you can help me make The Psych Show and get exclusive behind the scenes access in return at
* Should I get a Ph.D. or Psy.D. in psychology?
* 5 signs you’re getting bad cognitive behavioral therapy (COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY):
* What I wish I knew before I became a psychotherapist:
* How do psychologists analyze people?
* The Daily’s episode on the increasing cost of healthcare:
* Mental Health of America:
* Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration:
* Anxiety and Depression Association of America:
* International OCD Foundation:
* The TLC Foundation for Body Focused Repetative Behaviors (Hair-pulling, skin-picking):
* Tourette Association of America:
* National Eating Disorders Association:
* Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America:
* Effective child therapy:
Connect with Ali:
Email ► [email protected]
THE PSYCH SHOW! Creating mental health videos that educate, entertain, and empower! Produced, written, and edited by clinical psychologist Ali Mattu, Ph.D. All videos are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute clinical advice.
If you or someone you know needs help immediately, you should take one of the following actions:
– call 9-1-1 in the United States or your country’s emergency number:
– call the Lifeline at 1-800-273 TALK (8255) in the United States or a global crisis hotlines:
– text START to 741-741 in the United States or visit
– go to your nearest hospital emergency room